Your ideas before reading
- With Brexit, to what extent should Britian try remain in Eu trade, immigration and governing programs?
- In your country, would it be a good idea to increase VAT or income tax?
- Should your government try to increase net migration, or should they bear down on migration? Does it matter if it is low or high skilled?
- Should your government increase spending in your nation healthcare system? (in Britain = NHS – National Health Service)
- Should your government make adjustments to your education system?
Read and react
Click on the link below to compare your ideas with the condervative party of Great Britian and the United Kingdom
Your ideas before watching
- Is your social care system complex or straightforward?
- Does your government provide free winter fuel for everyone (to keep houses / flats warm in a cold winter)? How expensive is this? If you’re in a hot country, what about cooling?
- When elderly people need social care, be it in a nursing home or if a social care worker comes to their house, does the family or government pay for this? E.g. if someone has dementia but the children are busy working, who pays for the social care that is given to the person with dementia?
- Do your politicians meet their pledges?
Watch and react
Hunt’s Linguistic Choice
Read the questions and answer from memory, then watch and fill in the remaining answers. After you’ve finished, scroll down to check the answers below
- What describors Did Hunt use to describe the socal care system at the moment?
- When talking about the opposition leaders tax plan, what action does Hunt use: “that would ____ jobs for _______ , _______ families”
- When talking about the trade-off, why does Hunt keep saying “we’re being very open”?
- What expression does Hunt use to emphasize that there is no easy solution “there are no ____ ______”
- Hunt refers to “poor / the poorest pensiones”, what is his LC for “rich pensioners?”
- When talking about people losing money due to the need to pay for social care down to the last 27,000 pounds, Hunt says “the famileis will be ____ out”
- After talking about a negative, Hunt says “at the same time” and then lists positives. What describors does he use when listing the positives
___ cancer survival rates / the ____ expansion in mental health in Europe / t he ________ improvement in stroke and heart atack survival rate of any OECD / you’re seeing NHS staff working ___________ well / outcomes are ____________better than five years ago
For a food and diet video + activities click here
- Baffling and bewildering
- that would destroy jobs for ordinary, working families
- to balance the fact that he doesn’t give any specific figures, and also win votes from ordinay, working families
- there are no silver bullets
- better-off pensioners
- they will be cleaned out
- record cancer survival rates / the biggest expansion in mental health in Europe / the biggest improvement in stroke and heart atack survival rate of any OECD country . you’re seeing NHS staff working brilliantly well / outcomes are dramatically better than five years ago