Are some people better at maths than others? Why?
Is the way maths is learnt in your country different from the way that people learn musical instruments or karate?
How important were / are test scores in your country?
Does the coming of the digital age mean we need to change education in our country?
What do you think a “mastery approach” to learning is?
Each gap represents one missing word. How many different words can you think that could be the missing word
- A lot of them were having trouble with math at first, because they had all of these gaps ______________in their learning
- they’d get to a calculus class, and they’d be a little bit ____on the algebra
- in a lot of ways, this is how you _____ master a lot of things in life.
- the whole class will then ______ on to the next subject
- I might be in an algebra class or trigonometry class and I hit a _____
- it’s important to realize that not only will this make the student learn their exponents better, but it’ll _______the right mindset muscles
- a lot of skeptics _________ say, well, hey,
- “What percentage of the population do you think is capable of ____mastering calculus
- if we let people ____into their potential by mastering concepts they can get there.
check the answers below
Reacting to the ideas with planned LC
Read through the questions below, before answering, think which expressions from the previous exercise you can activate when discussing the questions below. Feel free to also look back through your vocab book / the rest of Khan’s speech.
- What points did Khan use the analogies of music / karate and later building a house to demonstrate? How effective are the analogies?
- Do you agree that if someone gets a C in a subject it means they have a C branded in their DNA, or will they inevitably be able to improve if they work on it?
- How important is grit when it comes to improving in different fields?
- How effective do you think the mastery approach to learning is for things like developing a growth mindset, instillling grit or allowng children to take agency over their learning?
- Do you agree that the logistics of implementing the mastery approach is doable nowadays? Does it depend on the subject?
- Khan says it is imperative to implement such an approach due to the fact we’re entering a digital revolution. What reasons does he give? To what extent do you agree with his idea and reasoning?
Answers to Linguistic Choice (what Khan actually used)
- move on to
- hit a wall
- tap into
below is another video about “fixed mindset versus growth mindset” in children. Think of 5 questions you think may be answered then watch the video
the next video is about schools killing creativity. What points raised in hte last two videos might be raised in the video below about how schools kill creativity?